Saturday, December 15, 2012

Book Review: Reached by Ally Condie

Title: Reached
Author: Ally Condie
Publisher: Dutton
Genre: Dystopian
Why I read it/how I found it: Third book in the Matched trilogy

Description:
After leaving Society and desperately searching for the Rising—and each other—Cassia and Ky have found what they were looking for, but at the cost of losing each other yet again: Cassia has been assigned to work for the Rising from within Society, while Ky has been stationed outside its borders. But nothing is as predicted, and all too soon the veil lifts and things shift once again.

Review:
Both the books previous to this lack action. But for this book, when the Rising would take a place, I hoped for more stuff.

Everything's always just so peaceful, even though they're in a rebellion! When was the last time you were in a history class and a rebellion/revolution went about without violence? Fighting is at most hinted at, but never truly described. There's a little explanation about the Society's government (finally!) but even that is highly dissatisfying. Apparently they rule by committee. Really? Does that really get anything done? Even the Rising is unbelievable. The leader's this big huge secret, which I don't buy at all. People want a face to lead them, even if the mystery of the Pilot is what brings them in.

So instead of concentrating on all of the layers of a revolution, everyone just gets sick and Cassia and Co have to get a cure. This was a long, drawn-out process.

In addition, let's just say this: love triangles are B-O-R-I-N-G. I have never yet failed in knowing who the girl would pick. I wasn't surprised in this one, so that was a snooze, too.

Condie has undeniable skill in writing. Her words are poetry, her images sharp and clear, and just beautiful. 

I'm sorry, but I'm still stuck on just how calm everyone was through this whole thing, from the governments down to the people. I still don't like it. It's not realistic and brings out nothing for the dystopian genre. I think Condie's probably really good at contemporary, but as for dystopia, I just don't think she has the right tone or style for it.


Other information: The first book in the trilogy, Matched, is optioned for film by Disney. Ally Condie's website is here.

1 comment: