Saturday, September 3, 2011

Book Review: The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

Title: The Goddess Test 
Author: Aimee Carter
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Genre: Young Adult (fantasy)
Why I read it/how I found it: Been having a love for Greek mythology lately.

Description:
It's always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.
Kate is sure he's crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.

Review:
What do you think of when you think of Greek gods? Jealous-prone, power-hungry, lusting, and arrogant, right? You won't find any of that in this book. Henry (aka Hades) has decided to give up his seat as lord of the Underworld because Persephone has decided to die because she loved a mortal, who also died, and he can't rule on his own, especially with a broken heart. But the council of gods make him stick around for another 100 years to find Persephone's replacement, and if he can't, only then will another god step in and take his place. Now, think a minute here. Do you really think that Hades would give up his throne? Or that the other gods would stop him if he did want to do that? Really now. Really? All of the qualities that make Greek gods Greek gods are completely lost. Henry is more of a chaste English gent with a Byronic streak than the god of the Underworld. Overall, the story was good enough if you could ignore this overlook of general character qualities (which was hard for me to do). Kate was admirable, although a bit too perfect. If (again) you can ignore the lack of mythological qualities, then it does have its strengths. In a different plot, I would have enjoyed seeing Henry and Kate fall for one another gradually instead of hitting the reader over the head with the passion.

Other information: The sequel, Goddess Interrupted is due out January 2012. Aimee Carter's website is here.   

6 comments:

  1. I much prefer it when characters slowly fall for each other -- but this does sound interesting. I might give it a try. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be interesting to see various qualities we see as inherent to certain things get a bit of a make over. It seems that's the attempt with Hades in this instance. Sometimes it works, as it did for the loyal followers of Meyer and her sparkly vamps. Sometimes...well, it doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The premise of the book seems sound enough to be very good, however, I agree that characters need to be completely developed otherwise it can knock you out of the story.

    Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that this is so different from other Greek mythology-themed stuff out there right now, though you're right -- that doesn't sound at all like the gods and their traits. Maybe that could be good or bad, depending on the execution? I really dislike perfect characters, but I love the sound of this premise, so I think I'll try it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand your point of view. This book was okay for me, but not great. I didn't hate it, but ended up giving it away in a contest on my blog to let someone else have a chance with it.

    Thanks for the comment on my post btw! Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you with the fact of going step by step with their love...especially Henry. I would like to know how he found the courage to finally found out that he truely fell in love with her. Other than that its a must read! I finished it in less than a day...I just couldnt put it down ;)

    ReplyDelete