Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Stop the distractions

Since around, oh, October-ish, I actually hadn't been writing as much as I had in the past. I would still type up a bit a day, but my fingers dashing across the keyboard in a stroke of pure imagination? Nope, not happening so much. You want to know why?
Tumblr.

I don't know if you're familiar with this social network, although it is rising in popularity to the dismay of the users there. It's a blog site, only tweaked a bit. October I decided to get one, and then last night, I deleted mine. There are a lot of reasons why, but part of it is that it was a huge distraction to my writing. Something about tumblr addicted me. I would spend hours there without even realizing how much time it took. But lately I realized how much it was hindering me from getting on with my manuscripts and just even life. So I deleted it.

I know that social media is huge right now. And tumblr is the next big thing, in my opinion. And for those who can control themselves, it's fun, and could be a future stepping block in publicity. But it distracted me way too much. What would be the point of having it to publicize something that I don't even have?

And so I suggest, if there is something that is your tumblr, either distance yourself from it or just get rid of it. For me, there were other reasons to delete my tumblr, so you may not need to go as far as I did. But anything extra in your life that you don't need distracting you, cut it out. You won't regret it, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment