Tuesday, May 8, 2012

My crazy goals and how I'll finish them

ICYMI: I'm writing a book for my honors thesis (just got the e-mail that my proposal was approved. Whew!). What this means? DEADLINES. My book will have to be shiny and perfect and ready to defend by next January. Maybe to some this isn't a big deal, but for me...yeah, this is going to push me.

As part of the proposal I had to set deadlines for myself. Deadline for my first draft? A month from now. That's about 2,000 words a day, six days of the week. I started up yesterday.

So now, I'm getting serious. Last week in a late-night youtube marathon, I came across this video from Charlie McDonnell (charlieissocoollike) where he talks about how he keeps up his goals. I learned from him, who learned from the internet, who learned from Jerry Seinfeld, about don't break the chain.
Have a calendar, and every time you meet your daily goal (of exercise or for people like us, writing) cross off the day. Keep crossing off days and don't break the chain. It seems to be working for Charlie, and I mean, if Jerry Seinfeld endorses it, who am I to argue?

Here's hopes of 2,000 words a day, six days a week for the next month.

Do you have any goals? What are you doing to meet them?

7 comments:

  1. What an awesome goal and so cool that you are doing that for your Thesis! I wish you the best of luck. Keep going and I'm sure amazing things will happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a crazy awesome goal. I totally think you can do it :)

    My goal is to finish the collab I'm working on before the end of June.

    The other goal is to query the crap out of my current MS :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome idea! I definitely need to do that. Good luck with the thesis! I had so much fun (and so many headaches) doing mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, I love Charlie! This is definitely a really good thing to do, I'm going to give it a go too I think, as I keep wasting so much time! Good luck :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your thesis! I love the "don't break the chain" idea. I'm motivated by lists because I can cross items off as I complete them. I think the chain idea would work for me as well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How’s your thesis now, Jenna? I think it’s good that you found a way to help you keep track of how you’re doing with your thesis, and also help motivate you in writing your thesis. Well, discipline is really a must in writing, especially if you would work on long writing like novel, books, and well, thesis. Wish you good luck with your thesis, and thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete