Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Last Day at LTUE

Yesterday was a much shorter day for me due to the inability (or lack of desire) to get up and school assignments.

I started out with the main address, which was given by James Dashner. He talked about his journey through publishing, and I have to say, if you ever get the chance to hear him speak you should, because he is a really funny guy (even though he tries to trick you by naming the title of his presentation "Most Boring Keynote Speech EVER"). He emphasized the importance of networking, which, admittedly, scares me. I'm not so much of a network. I have trouble just going up and talking to people. Another huge point he pressed is that if we worked hard, we'd have success.

Then I went to a panel called "Military on Military SF" with Steve Harrison, Frank Hennis, Brad R. Torgersen, and Tyler Whitesides.
This is mostly for a future reference for me for another idea I have, but won't work on for a while. They talked a lot on the flaws that science fiction has with real military life, and some things SF does right on that aspect.

Then I had to go home, eat lunch, go to the bookstore, and so I missed an hour before I went back for the book signing with James Dashner. I found out that my copy of The Maze Runner was in the 10th printing, which is actually a really low number. He said the only one lower he'd seen was a four. And, I have to put this in, but he asked me if I was a writer. I told him that I was and he said, "Don't give up. You'll get published."
I'm going to get published guys. Who knows when or how successful I'll be, but I will.

I only had time for one more presentation, which was with Elana Johnson on "Pitching to Agents/Editors."
This one is mostly for future reference, again. And since she sent around a sheet to put down our email address where she would email us the presentation, I didn't take very good notes. But again, one of the biggest things for me whas her mentioning to control yourself and not appear nervous. That'll be interesting to see when I do get to the point of pitching.

I'm so sad it's over, it's been an amazing few days! 

1 comment: