Here are some things I've learned so far:
- I really want to like what I read. I get these big fat manuscripts, and I know the author has put a lot of time and effort into it, so I really want to like it.
- However, I more often than not don't.
- Some reasons why the manuscript doesn't work for me: it's poorly written, there wouldn't be a market for it, it's not right for our company, or it just doesn't interest me.
- I usually know by page 30 (at most) whether or not I'll send it up to the editor to look through.
- I've started working on the slush from December. It can take a long time for someone to even look at your manuscript! Patience is key.