As I've mentioned on the blog before, I'm applying to schools to get my MFA in Creative Writing. And yesterday, for a class where we use computers a lot, I had to get into my email to get the link to a blog. I opened up my email and saw that I had an email from BYU graduate studies informing me "a decision has been made on your application."
I was too scared to open in it class, in case I made any noises of joy or pain. Since turning in my application in January, I haven't felt too great about getting in. My GRE scores were so-so, did that research paper really meet the requirements for a grad student, and I hadn't taken a class they had suggested I take. I spent the hour in class preparing myself for a rejection. It was fine. I had other schools I was applying to, this one rejection wouldn't mean I wouldn't get in to any MFA program.
I wasn't sure if I wanted to open up the email before I got home (which would be around 4:45, and my class ended at noon) or if I wanted to take the chance and feel horrible all day about it. I went into the break room at my work and decided I'd just look and have a crappy rest of the day.
I pulled out my laptop, got onto my email, and followed the email's link to the school's system. I logged in and found the letter, which said they were "pleased to inform you that you have been accepted..."
I had to read that line three times before I understood that "pleased" and "accepted" meant that I had gotten in. I could get an MFA. I was in it. Yes, silly, I know, but I'd so convinced myself I wouldn't be getting in that I had to make sure my grasp on the English language was strong enough to make sure this wasn't any sort of miscommunication.
BYU has a lot of great advantages. While not a degree in Creative Writing for Young People, it's still open to YA and has a fantastic program. I'll be able to teach freshman writing, and I've loved living in Utah where there are so many writers and readers, with the Provo library just a twenty minute walk, where a lot of awesome authors come to speak.
I still have to hear back from Vermont College of Fine Arts, which has an amazing program for writing for young people, and with its low-residency format, I'd be able to live in San Diego again--free from snow and cold and bipolar weather!
So IF I get accepted to VCFA, then I'll have a decision to make. But right now I'm just glad that I have a definite option for this upcoming fall.