Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New Semester, New Perspective

Today was my first day back in class and I started my first college creative writing course. Since it was the first day it was a lot about the syllabus and the way that the class is going to be run, there isn't much to report back on the class. But I've been going through the reading, a book called Imaginative Writing by Burroway, and I'm really excited for this class.

Already I've found so much in my writing that I need to improve on. Of course I've heard about using active verbs and nouns, but actually reading this book has opened my eyes to just how detailed a passage can be. I'm not always slapping on weak verbs and nouns, but there's still a lot to work on in that aspect.

I was also going to talk about this comparision the book talked about between dissecting and frog and dissecting writing, but it sounds weird coming from me. But the point was that when we dissect a reading as a writer, the text comes out more alive than before and our own writing comes more alive.

So here's looking forward to a lot of aha moments this semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment